Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely.

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Which do you want first, the good news or the bad news?

Let's start with the bad news. Remember the dream job I blogged about last year? Well, unfortunately that company was not immune to the economy, and they've had to eliminate my position. My last day was last Friday. Since I'm 6 months pregnant, there's about a .01% chance that anyone else would hire me to do something similar, even if the economy were in better shape. So, that's the bad news.

The good news is that Scott and I have been preparing for my maternity leave and beyond by saving my entire paycheck for the past few months. We're able to survive on his salary without making too many cuts or sacrifices. We have a pretty good emergency fund built up, and with my unemployment pay, we will be able to continue making that grow.

Some more good news is that during my 3rd trimester, I'll be able to take it easy as I need to. All of those doctors appointments won't make me feel guilty for missing so much work. I can visit my family and Scott's without worrying about the time off eating into my maternity leave time.

While I wish the timing had been better, and that the choice had been mine, I'm keeping a surprisingly positive attitude about the whole situation. I will get to be a stay at home mom, at least for a little while. The company has told me that should I want to come back and the position is available, they'll welcome me with open arms. That makes me feel good. So, the future isn't clear, but when is it ever? And though it's not clear, it at least looks bright to me.

1 comment:

Scott K. Johnson said...

Sorry to hear about the untimely lay off. Your positive attitude will carry you far.