Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely.

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Sometimes bad dreams happen for good reasons

The other night, I had a nightmare. I don't remember many of the details, but I know I was being chased, and I had to get to La Push to get Jacob and his friends to help me. I woke up, startled and confused, and decided to test my blood sugar. It was 230 mg/dl. That's high.

I had changed my insulin pump battery just before bed, and when I went to program in a correction bolus, I found that my pump was not working. I freaked a little, and went downstairs, got a coin to open the battery case and removed the battery, and found that I had installed the battery upside down! Of course my pump wasn't working! I corrected my mistake, programmed in a bolus, and made my way back into dream-land completely unencumbered by nightmares.

I have found often that if I wake from a nightmare in the middle of the night, that my blood sugar is usually out of whack. I think the bad dreams are another trigger from my body to my mind, to get me to wake up and fix things. The human body and brain are fascinating and I'm thankful that, despite my obvious malfunction, that other aspects work so well.

No comments: